A Servant Heart
Welcome to the updated website of the Junior League of Lubbock, Inc. Please take a few minutes to explore, in order to see the good works that the Junior League accomplishes both in Lubbock and the surrounding area.
The Junior League is an organization of women who have committed to making a positive impact in our community. We accomplish this by both supporting our own signature projects and providing volunteers to other entities that ask for our assistance. The Junior League of Lubbock has an 84 year history of identifying needs in the community and determining how the influence and abilities of our members can initiate positive change and make an enduring positive effect for our friends and neighbors.
The Junior League has created and sustained many signature projects over the history of the organization. The current Signature Projects that the Junior League supports include the following:
- Food2Kids is a partnership with the Lubbock Independent School District that on a weekly basis provides over 1,900 elementary-aged children with sacks containing shelf-stable food. The sacks provide students with sustenance over weekend time periods. We are in an exciting transition period with the Food 2 Kids program. Our membership voted in April of 2019 to approve the transfer of this program to an independent non-profit organization who we will continue to partner with over the next five years. The long term goal of the program is to serve students who attend school outside the current school boundary. This partnership is designed to ensure the continued success of feeding children who have been identified as being food insecure.
- Kids in the Kitchen, which originated with the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. strives to teach children how to live healthy lifestyles, with a strong emphasis on learning how to make life-long healthy food choices. The Junior League of Lubbock, has and will continue to work to innovate this program to meet the needs and demands of children who are unique to our community:
- SPARK, a project that was conceived and originated in the 2013-2014 League year. The mission of the SPARK program is to encourage and mentor eighth grade girls who many times would be first generation college students, to dream and work towards future goals and endeavors. The program spans the entire year to teach the young women, that they are Strong, have Potential, can Aspire, are Responsible, and they Know they can! The program is producing strong young women who have learned tools and strategies that can be applied to their lives in order to make positive choices in various aspects of their personal and school lives.
In addition to our projects, the Junior League also strives to help other organizations in the community by providing assistance and volunteers in multiple ways. One example of the Junior League’s outreach is the awarding of Community Assistance Grants. The Junior League of Lubbock provides a total of $20,000 worth of grants annually with the monies split evenly between fall and spring award cycles. A grant application is available on our website, and you are welcome to complete the paperwork for consideration.
The Junior League is also able to provide volunteers to local agencies through annual permanent placements in which our members spend 48 hours over the year to provide targeted assistance, or in short term project/event community shift opportunities that occur as needed. The process is explained under the “how we can help” tab.
In addition, the Junior League also funds a scholarship program for a senior girl who has demonstrated a strong history of community and volunteer service and has the goal of attending college. School counselors at area high schools are provided information regarding the scholarship, and young women are encouraged to apply.
In order to fund our projects and grants, the Junior League has created three current fundraising opportunities, to support and sustain the work being completed in the Lubbock and surrounding communities. The fundraisers that the Junior League currently supports include:
- Holiday Happening which will be celebrating its fortieth year of bringing holiday cheer! Holiday Happening is the Junior League’s largest fundraiser which has become a tradition to ring in the Christmas season with beautiful décor, as well as shopping opportunities for families to get a “head start” on their holiday shopping. In addition, the Junior League has also partnered with Moonlight Musicals to bring classical shows during the dates scheduled for Holiday Happening. The dates for this year’s event are November 20th through November 25th, and we hope to see you at the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center.
- Partner Card is a newer fundraiser created by the Junior League. The concept of the Partner Card is to provide the public with discount shopping opportunities in a wide variety of businesses such as restaurants, clothing, home décor, etc., throughout the Lubbock area. It is simply a matter of purchasing a Partner Card and displaying it to staff at the participating businesses. The timeframe of the Partner Card shopping period will be in the early spring.
- Touch-a-Truck is the newest fundraiser established by the Junior League of Lubbock. The purpose of the Touch-a-Truck program is provide children with the opportunity to explore, climb on, and even honk the horn on large pieces of machinery. The one day event is typically held on a Saturday in late April. Sponsors and businesses generously donate their machinery and time as an outreach opportunity for local children. The last event held on April 27, 2019 served thousands of area families, and was a huge success!
Finally, the Junior League of Lubbock is ultimately a training and service organization that builds strong women leaders who display a servant heart and a desire to make a difference. We are open and willing to have any woman interested in making a difference come and join us, as we make a positive impact and fulfill the needs of those we live with in our own West Texas area.
I invite you to contact our Junior League of Lubbock office if you have any further questions or inquiries as to how we can assist you.
Junior League President, 2019 – 2020